Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Fathers Day Celebration


The gift of having an extraordinary male figure in your life is so amazing and one I wish on all children. I was a daddy’s girl and so is my daughter.  On this day I celebrate all of them. Unlike mothers day where we spent hours trying to figure out ways to pamper our moms the traditional fathers day has poor dad slaving over the grill. Teaching my brothers to grill was a right of passage kind of like carving the thanksgiving bird and I’m sure he would have taught me if I had shown an interest. My first lesson in BBQ was when I   left home and invited about 20 people over and realized that I didn’t have my daddy to grill for me. At one point I tipped the BBQ (I was wearing white) and I think the chicken was black on the outside and raw on the inside. I have since really worked with some master “quers”and learned the art and technique of grilling. I love to grill everything from meats to fish and every veggie in between. You can always grill extra and have leftover s for the week. I like to have a well-rounded menu with a lot of variety. I love the asian-fusian flavors to the steak and salmon. Aside from my daughter, the best gift her dad gave me was his family’s “Slick BBQ Sauce.” My friends always request it and use it generously .so be sure to make plenty.  You can always add grilled veggies, corn and a big green salad for larger gatherings. And since my dad was not much of a dessert eater, Ice cream and fresh fruit can be a great simple finish.     I was so blessed to have a dad that was loving, giving and truly present…well most of the time if the 49ers weren’t playing! I know this to be true because of the excellent fathers my brothers have become. Sadly my father passed at the age of 52 and while I miss him terribly I always feel his love and guidance. Enjoy these recipes and embrace all of the amazing men who have touched your life whether he is your biological or stepfather, a close family member or friend.

Slicks BBQ Sauce

3/4 cup white wine vinegar

1/2-cup dark brown sugar

1      Shake Worchester

4 shakes Tabasco

1 clove garlic minced

1-tablespoon black pepper

1-teaspoon celery salt

1 heaping teaspoon chili powder

4 tablespoons French’s mustard

1 cup Heinz ketchup

Mix all ingredients in an empty and clean 1/2-gallon milk jug. It is best to make a couple of days a head. Shake vigorously at least twice a day. Brush over grilled chicken, fish, steak or veggies. Anything you would use a traditional BBQ sauce for.

Korean Style Marinated London broil

3 pound London Broil (or Sirloin)

2 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

1-cup soy sauce

3 shallots, finely chopped

3 tablespoons sesame oil

3 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper

In a shallow baking dish whisk together all of the above ingredients (except the meat) mix well. Place meat in the baking dish coating well on both sides. Let marinade overnight (at least 4 hours)Grill over medium heat for approximately 10 minutes per side for rare. Add about five minutes per side for medium rare and on up. To serve, cut steak diagonally into thin slices and transfer to a platter.

 

Ginger Soy Salmon

2      Salmon steaks

Juice and zest of 3 tangerines or clementimes…Emma calls them Ferry tangerines. If not in season, oranges will do.

1/4-cup brown sugar

1-cup soy sauce

1-tablespoon ginger

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper

In a bowel mix all but the salmon. I like to marinade the fish for about one hour. Grill over med-low heat for about 7 minutes per side.

Spicy Noodles

You can double or triple this recipe to fed a crowd. You can add cooked chicken or shrimp to make it an entrée. You can also use soba noodles that are from buckwheat so it is ok for people with wheat allergies.

1 pound dry pasta- spaghetti or angel hair

1-cup smooth peanut butter

3 Tbsp. Sugar

1/2-cup soy sauce

1 tsp. Chile pepper flakes

3 Tbsp. Toasted Sesame oil

3 Tbsp. Minced garlic

3 Tbsp. Canola oil

Garnishes- slivered carrots, green onions, red pepper s, fresh cilantro, and sesame seeds, toasted peanuts

Cook pasta in large pot of boiling water. Drain the noodles, let stand and use the warm pot to make the sauce. (It helps with the thickness of the peanut butter)

Wisk the rest of ingredients until blended. Mix in the pasta. Let Stand in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Before serving toss with the garnishes of your choice.

 Black Bean & Red Papaya Salad 

3 tablespoons fresh limejuice

1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger

1-teaspoon honey

4 tablespoons olive oil

1-teaspoon salt

1/4-teaspoon fresh ground pepper

2 cups canned black beans, drained and rinsed

2 medium red papayas, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes

1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced, crosswise

1/2 cup loosely packed mint leaves, coarsely chopped

Combine limejuice, ginger, and honey in a small bowl.  Whisk

in olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  Set vinaigrette aside.

Combine black beans, papaya, and red onion in a large bowl

and toss together.  Pour vinaigrette over and toss again.  Cover with

plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.  Add mint, toss again,and serve.

Wasabi Coleslaw

2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage

1/4-cup mayonnaise

3-teaspoon wasabi paste

2 tablespoons rice vinegar

Mix together cabbage, wassail, mayonnaise, and vinegar in medium bowl. Chill for 2 hours or over night.

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: